Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The many faces of Hash

I love finding treasures tucked away in my freezer that I had forgotten about.  Yesterday was my lucky day.  While putting my reorganization skills to good use, I found a bag of smoked ham I had stashed a while back.  I wasn't sure at the time what it would become, but I knew it would be on Tuesdays menu.
Motivated by a friendly five ingredient food challenge I was participating in, I put my thinking cap on and BAM, hash was born.  I've made hash many times, most of them included some type of grilled or smoked meat I had leftover, even sausage links.  The beauty of hash is, there are no rules.  Throw your favorite ingredients together and call it hash!  Of course I always use potatoes, and peppers and onions, and for some reason mushrooms just seem to fit in as well.  Keeping with my five ingredient limit, I knew I need to be a little more creative than usual.

I could not use oil to "fry" my potatoes in, so I cut off some fat and skin from the ham and rendered it down to substitute for oil.  

Ingredients:
Smoked ham, cubed 
Russet Potatoes, cubed
Anaheim peppers, diced 
Red onion, large chop
Mushrooms, sliced

In the end I used 2 c cubed ham, 5 med. potatoes, 2 anaheim peppers, 1 onion and about 6 brown mushrooms.  I washed the potatoes and left the skin on.


I cooked the potatoes and peppers in the ham fat over med high for about 15 min, stirring often, then added the onion.  Cooked another 15 min till slightly fork tender, then I added the ham and mushrooms.  Then I let it cook about 10 min longer until the ham was warm and the mushrooms were semi-tender.  I added black pepper along the way since salt and pepper were "free" ingredients.

I served this to my hubby with fresh cherry tomatoes from my neighbor, and a nice slice of mozzarella cheese.  On a more industrious day I would have served with sunny side up eggs.

So next time you have some leftover beef, pork, sausage, even chicken, but don't have enough to serve as a entree`, make a big skillet of hash and enjoy!

Here are some more hash recipes you might enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment