Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Grilled Steak Sammie

Well Spring has sprung and now Summer is fast approaching, and it's the time of year that I revisit some of my old standby recipes that are easy to make, and can be made from start to finish on the grill. 

A few years ago I had to buy a gas grill due to open fire restrictions caused by a severe drought situation.  That's when I started playing with ideas and this is one I came up with.  It's just a grilled sandwich right?  True, but it is one of the most flavorful sammies I've ever put in my mouth.  Honestly for this one, the secret is the bread!  Jalapeno Cheese bread, or JC focaccia bread, it makes all the difference in the world, and it has to be grilled!!

What you'll need:
Tender steak or roast, sliced paper thin
Grill seasonings of your choice
Muenster or Asadero cheese, grated
Sweet onions, sliced
Portabello or large brown mushrooms, sliced
Jalapeno cheese bread or Jalapeno cheese Focaccia bread
Skewers, or grilling basket for steak
Grilling basket or slotted grilling pan for onions and mushrooms
Slotted grilling pan for sammies

When I said simple, I meant really simple. The first time I made this I used thin sliced sirloin, this last time I used paper thin sliced chuck roast, and honestly I liked the chuck roast better.  

Time to get started!  Season your steak as you normally would for grilling. I use a combination of granulated garlic, granulated onion, black pepper, coarse sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil. I place the slices of meat in a bowl and toss a few times to coat.  I do the same with the onion and mushrooms.

When slicing the bread, if using Focaccia you will slice it horizontally, not vertically.  Use butter or oil and lightly brush the inside of the bread and place on grill to toast, then remove from grill.  I like to grill my bread first, then place grated cheese on the bottom half while it's still hot.

Then you just grill your meat in one basket, or on skewers, and your veggies in another. Once all is done I start stacking up my sammie, adding another layer of cheese on top of the meat, then topping it off with veggies.

Last step is to place the sammie on a slotted grilling pan and sit back inside the grill, lid closed, with indirect heat and allow the cheese to finish melting.



Wala!  One of the best grilled sammie's you will ever eat, and it takes less than thirty minutes of your time (not including prep work).


Hope you try this, and hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!

1 comment: