Sunday, April 9, 2017

Grilled Fajita (Skirt Steak) Burger




I promised a review on my take of a Fajita Burger...is it worth the effect and expense?  I have to say I was a little disappointed.  In my opinion the worthiness of a burger comes from the flavor of the meat, the patty makes the burger!   I was expecting a juicy beyond belief burger loaded with flavor, what I got was a fairly lean, somewhat dry burger with less than robust flavor.  The only saving grace was that they were grilled over charcoal and mesquite wood, which gave them a nice char grilled flavor.




That being said, every piece of meat is different.  Two slabs of skirt steak, two different amounts of fat.  Although the slab I cut and ground up for these burgers seemed to be fatty enough, that did not shine through in the final product, and we all know that fat means flavor!!












It was a fun challenge though, a self-appointed challenge, but probably not something I'd do again, especially considering the price of Skirt steak.  I think I will save it for the medium rare, sliced meat fajitas we normally grill, those are to die for.


Ingredients and Directions:
1 "slab" of skirt steak, cut against the grain in strips and fresh ground, this made 4 large patties
1-2 bell pepper, sliced
1 lg. sweet onion, sliced
Grated cheese
Small (6") flour tortillas
Salsa, pico de gallo and sour cream can be added as garnish
Seasoning of choice (I used Tatonka dust, granulated garlic and black pepper)

Form your patties and grill over direct heat until medium (or your preference).  Once the burgers are just about done, we like to place the cheese on top, close the grill and let it melt♥



While your grilling the burgers, place the sliced pepper and onions in a grilling basket or on a slotted grilling tray and grill over the heat source, be sure you toss them with tongs often to keep them from burning, however, I do love charred veggies too!!  




(You can either toast your tortillas before you grill your burgers or once you are finished grilling them, I have done it both ways).  Lightly brush flour tortillas with oil and heat them over your heat source just long enough to toast and make crispy.



Now build your Fajita burger!!  I added some red salsa on top of mine, just as I would if I were eating a regular fajita.  Topping with pico de gallo would also add another level of flavor and even a little sour cream!  
All in all a good burger, but it could have been made from any 85/15 cut of beef with no significant flavor advantage.  I have to say a brisket point is my all time favorite cut of meat for a scrumptious burger, fresh ground of course.  But then.....that's another blog!

Happy grilling and happy eating♥

No comments:

Post a Comment